The Backpack Life

Packing for a vacation can be daunting.  People often think it's impossible to live out of a backpack for an extended period of time.  It is totally possible to pack whatever you need into your backpack!  However, you need to choose your backpack and what you put in it carefully.  I'm going to take you through what I packed for 10 days in Ireland!

Cliffs of Moher


First things first:  The Backpack.

On my way to Ukraine last year I found a backpack called the 'Shasta Pack' at Eddie Bauer (I love Eddie Bauer!).   The pack is 25L so it's a little smaller than the other backpacks I've had.  The smaller size concerned me a little but it turns out that the size wasn't a problem!  On my trip to Ireland last October I was able to fit several days of outfits, 1 sleeping outfit, a small first aid kit, toiletries, a travel towel, a pair of tennis shoes, a pair of gloves, my journal, a book, an iPod and charger cords, snacks, an extra purse, and my wallet!  It was a bit of a tight squeeze with the extra pair of shoes but it all fit and the way the backpack is built it was still comfortable to wear fully packed.  


Next:  The Clothes

What I took:
2 pairs of leggings
1 pair of jeans
1 pair sweatpants
1 dress
3 sweaters
1 long-sleeved tee
2 short-sleeved tees
underwear and nylon socks for a week
1 pair fuzzy socks
1 sports bra
1 pair tennis shoes
1 pair boots
1 long jacket (I wore this and the boots most of the time and only packed the boots 2 days)

The best way to pack your clothes is by rolling them as tight as possible.  You can put them in airtight plastic bags to separate them in your backpack but beware that plastic makes a ton of noise in a hostel room in the morning.... trust me.  I didn't have airtight bags but I use gallon or 2 gallon Ziplocs to separate things and keep them rolled.  

I try to put all the heavier clothes (jeans and sweaters) on the bottom of the pack or in the computer compartment. Then go the t-shirts and leggings.  I usually try to put the socks and underwear along the sides of the bag so they're pretty easily accessible but out of the way.  I use a small packing cube (another Eddie Bauer find!) to pack the underwear and socks.

I found that I had packed more than enough (shocker, right? haha).  I think next time I'd take 2 fewer sweaters, 1 less pair of pants, and 1 less short-sleeved tee and possibly skip the jeans.  It was nice to have that stuff (except for the sweater I didn't even unpack...) but I would have been really nice to have the extra space!


Don't forget:  The Toiletries

Sooooo..... I have a hard time paring down the makeup and such.  I don't like to have dry skin so I always have lotion.  I don't like having dry lips so I always have chapstick.  I like perfume.  I like essential oils (especially when I'm sick, which I was on my Ireland trip.)  I have dry eyes so I never go anywhere without eyedrops.  Mascara, foundation, and toothpaste are necessities. I swear the list grows as I pack.

Packing the right amount of liquids to fit in a quart Ziploc is tricky.  I use a Beauty on the Fly bag from Sephora that zips at the top.  I like it because even if I have to work a little to get it zipped I don't have to worry that it will pop open.  It's TSA-friendly so I never have to worry when I go through security!

What liquids I took: (I always try to have travel-sized toiletries but I can't always find them and I always lose the refillable containers haha)
1 liquid foundation
1 concealer
1 mascara
1 toothpaste
1 cheek and lip stain
1 lotion (hand/body)
1 lotion (face)
1 deodorant
eyedrops
perfume samples
chapstick
lavender and peppermint oil and PastTense from doTerra
shampoo and conditioner samples (shampoo can double as body wash)
hand sanitizer

Extra toiletries I packed: (These toiletries went in a fabric makeup bag and got packed at the top of my backpack for easy access.)
eyeliner
eyebrow pencil
bronzer/highlighter compact
makeup remover wipes
toothbrush
hairbrush
small baby powder (good for stinky shoes and works as a dry shampoo!)
2 Crest whitening strips

You will have to tailor your toiletries to your needs and they might change a little depending on what you plan to do on vacation.  Keep the basics packed all the time so you don't have to worry about them.  I keep mascara, toothpaste, shampoo samples, perfume samples, and face-wipes in my suitcase all the time so when I go to pack I don't need to pack them!


Also:  The Electronics

Mine are surprisingly minimal.  I take my phone, iPod, and external battery pack. Each of those has a different cord but they all have USB plugins so I usually only take one adaptor.  I keep anything I'm not using at the moment (most of the time that's anything but my phone) packed in a little makeup bag or Ziploc.


And most importantly:  The Documents

I always print off an itinerary and many bus and train companies and some airlines still require you to print off your tickets (and I prefer to do that just in case their computer systems are down or my phone dies!) 

My passport rarely leaves my body when I travel.  I have an RFID blocking pouch that goes around my neck.  When I'm on long flights or trains or sleeping in airports I put my passport, credit/debit cards, and extra cash in there and slide it down my shirt.  I borrowed my friend's money belt when I was in Ireland because having something extra around my neck every day got old quickly.  I liked the money belt for everyday use and could fit much more in it than I expected!  These are just two basic options that I've tried but you can find pants, shirts, socks, and even scarves with pockets for your passport.  


Finally: Everything Else

I try not to pack too many nonessential items but I always pack pens, travel packs of tissues (for my nose and in case a bathroom doesn't have toilet paper!), and a small first aid kit (a couple band-aids, Advil, Benedryl, Tums, vitamin C).  I also packed my purse inside my backpack because the airlines I flew on between Ukraine and Ireland allowed only one or the other as a carry-on.  I also took a journal and a book for when I had downtime!  I packed a few granola bars, 2 oatmeal packets, some instant coffee, and tea bags.  Not much but enough that I had them if I needed them.

I basically wore the same outfit every day haha
(P.S. I majorly nerded out here!)

Living out of a backpack can be kind of fun.  Everything fits a certain way like a puzzle and it also keeps you from purchasing too many souvenirs!  My favorite perks are the fact that it gives you more mobility/flexibility and you don't have to listen to wheels rolling on the ground :)  

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions I'm always open to them!  I love learning new things and hearing different experiences.  

Thanks for reading!  Keep an eye out for the next post!  





Comments

Popular Posts