Packing!

Ok, so there are a number of things I make lists for and packing is DEFINITELY one of them.  You have no idea how much time and stress a simple list will save you until you go to use it.  (I also like to keep my traveling basics in my suitcases when I'm at home so I never have to go in search of them!)

I usually don't use apps for packing but I found one in my browsing the other day called TripList.  It is great because it already has some suggested lists and you can categorize your items (clothing, toiletries, misc.... you get it).

Now, speaking to those of you who tend to over pack,  DO NOT feel the need to take all of your possessions with you.  Take what you need and get everything else once you arrive (or improvise!).  I can't tell you exactly what you'll be able to find but more often than not you'll find what you're looking for or a very close brand.  Or (this is my favorite) you'll learn to do without.  The first time I went to Russia I had two 50 lb. checked bags and basically three carry-ons (I made it look like two carry-ons when I'd go to get on the plane haha).  I packed full sized toiletries and more clothes than I could wear in the four months I would be gone.  On top of that I had class supplies (that comes with the ILP teacher territory!).  The one thing I really did right in packing was splitting my belongings between the two checked bags so both had clothes and school supplies.  That tip wasn't something I got off the internet or anything however... it was a Mom tip!  Best thing to do if you're stuck on packing and Google is not feeling helpful (or just skip Google altogether...): ask Mom.  You'd be surprised what a mom can fit in a suitcase.

This is my first year taking only one checked bag.  Believe me, right now I'm sitting in the Houston airport praying that my next plane will have that 49.5 lb gray suitcase.  (I threw the "49.5 lbs" in there because I was all prepared to take stuff out and shove it in my carry-on yesterday morning. haha)  Along with my checked bag I have a back pack and a rolling carry-on suitcase.  The rolling carry-on was a little iffy for me because the first time (and only time actually) that I used it I had to check it at each gate and get it as I got off the plane.  I didn't want to have to do that each time so we shall see what happens when I get on Lufthansa.

Should you chose to take only one checked bag there are two good options if you find that your luggage has gone overweight: taking another bag or stuff as much as possible in a carry-on and check it at the gate.  I have found its actually cheaper if you want to take more stuff just to have two checked bags.  Usually the extra checked bag fee is between $50 and $100, but thats for 50 lbs or less each.  I've heard of people having to pay around $70 for an extra 3 lbs of weight.  If you check your carry-on at the gate you can usually do it for free (or a smaller fee anyway).  I can't remember a flight where they weren't asking for volunteers to check their carry-ons for free.  (Just make sure you remove anything of value or importance!!)


I'm definitely not a light packer but I'm still learning, too!!

Hope you get some use out of this post!  I think its time for me to find some breakfast...

Comments

  1. Hi Kerry. I'm replying through Paul's google account -- so if you see Paul's name, you'll know it's me. :) Good advice! I like your new blog. -- Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you for reading my posts :) Glad to know you can use his account! Hope you guys are well! -Kerry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts